So you want your kitchen to look like it was plucked directly from an exhibit at the Toronto Home Show…but you aren’t Mike Holmes. Time to find a reputable contractor for your kitchen remodel.
Short of purchasing a ready-made kitchen installed by the staff at mega-firms like Ikea or Home Depot – not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you don’t want the same kitchen everyone else has – how are you supposed to find the perfect Vaughan custom kitchen renovation contractor?
For someone who has never undertaken a major renovation before, finding the right kitchen contractor can seem like a major chore, but if you follow a few simple tips, you’ll be able to converse with your contractor like a pro – and know what you’ll be getting before you sign on the dotted line.
How to hire the perfect kitchen reno contractor
Most searches these days start out online. But if you just call the first listing that appears in your Google search for ‘Vaughan custom kitchen renovation contractor’, you could be missing out on what other kitchen renovation companies are doing. The beauty of the internet is that it offers an almost overwhelming amount of choice. Take the time to look at various kitchen design firms and compare photos of their recent work. If you favour a warm, rustic look in your kitchen but have been recommended to a contractor whose projects indicate a starker, more modern aesthetic, it might not be a good match.
When you have narrowed your selection down to a handful of kitchen renovation contractors whose style seems to match your own, it’s time to get down to business.
- Dive into credentials. Any kitchen remodeler can have a slick website, but the cringe-worthy truth is, those photos may not even be their own work. It happens! Find out what licenses, certifications and designations the contractor and his or her employees hold. It’s not the only factor to take into consideration, but an important one. Now is a good time to ask whether financial references, insurance, workmanship warranties, or written guarantees, will be provided.
- Look for someone who communicates well – and listens. Long gone are the days when it was acceptable for a contractor to merely grunt and go about his work. Your contractor doesn’t need a PhD in English, but they should be able to communicate well by listening closely to your needs, wants and desires for your new kitchen, mirroring back to you what you have in mind, and answering all your questions clearly and articulately before the heavy equipment comes out.
- Get a written quote. While the magic number of quotes to compare from different Vaughan custom kitchen renovation contractors is three – less than that and you won’t have a good idea of what’s available, more than that can get confusing – you need more than just a number on a piece of paper. Make sure the quote is detailed and itemized, and answers such questions as:
- Estimated timeline for completion
- Breakdown of scope of work
- Materials costs and what is included or what you will source yourself (such as fixtures)
- Payment schedules
- Warranties on workmanship and labour
At Trillium Kitchens and Baths, we uphold the highest level of professionalism in the industry and provide our clients with the best custom kitchens in the GTA. When you’re thinking of a kitchen remodel in Vaughan, think of us first! Call us today for a no-obligation consultation.